Anthropology is one of the considered options for the UPSC Exams. Its themes and subjects are similar to arts as well as humanities which credit better marks and make it a convenient option for students to choose. Anthropology is the scientific study of the entirety of human beings. It helps us form connections with human beings who have lived to date. It is an important piece in the puzzle of solving human complexities and linking them along with Science, Psychology, Archeology and Culture. Let us have a look at the syllabus of Anthropology for UPSC in this blog.
“Anthropology is the science which tells us that people are the same the whole world over-except when they are different.” – Nancy Banks-Smith.
This Blog Includes:
Importance of Anthropology
The study of our ancestral beings is important to understand the reasons for our behaviors, cultures, social groups, movements, politics, linguistic developments, lifestyle, etc. India has a rich history of its ancestral past and its development to an independent nation. With the diverse salad bowl India is today, this nation has been impacted by various tribes, religions, races, castes and ethnicities. The government of India has promoted various research programs in anthropology. Anthropology for UPSC is quite a chosen topic among students owing to its interesting and lucid syllabus. Folks from an engineering and humanities background can opt for this optional subject, study it in at least 4 months and score well.
Also Read: UPSC Essay Topics
Important Topics in Anthropology
Anthropology for UPSC has the following topics in detail for their syllabus. Anthropology focuses on the four core themes of evolution and the study of humans. Let’s explore them in brief.
- Archeology: Archeology analyses human beings on the types of objects, buildings and civilizations humans have made. They also focus on bone formations and other intricate concepts in our everyday life which gives them a deeper insight into human thoughts.
- Biological Anthropology: This branch looks at the human bodies and their adaptations to various environments, the various diseases that previous beings went through. They dig deeper into the fossils of human ancestors and primates.
- Cultural Anthropology: Cultural anthropology deals with humans and their social structures, religions, traditions and practices. What did our ancestors do in their leisure time and what were their entertainment methods is covered in this part.
- Linguistic Anthropology: Communication is the base of any civilization and humans have spoken many languages, among which some of them are even extinct. Today there exist over 7000 languages. To understand where these languages have had their starting points, it is essential to study linguistic Anthropology.
How to Prepare Anthropology for UPSC without Coaching?
The following tips will provide a basic guideline for Anthropology for UPSC study plan:
- Anthropology is a very interesting subject that needs some patience from the student’s side. Begin by reading the syllabus and also arranging previous year papers. Paper-1 consists of Social-Cultural Anthropology and Biological Anthropology and Paper-2 covers the topics of Indian Society and Tribal India.
- Adding self created examples in your own words will make you stand out. Read case studies relevant to each topic and highlight the basic idea conveyed through it. Look out for recent incidents where you can draw connections.
- Since it has various layers and is conceptually inter-linked, it is preferable you make flow-chart and diagrams to comprehend the topics. Make sure you don’t completely mug-up concepts which might result in negligence.
- Take every topic with a fresh mind and be creative in constructing your answers.
Also Read: History Questions for UPSC and SSC Exams
Anthropology Books for UPSC
|An Introduction to Social Anthropology||Buy Here|
|Anthropology – Ember and Ember||Buy Here|
|Physical Anthropology – P. Nath||Buy Here|
|Indian Anthropology- Nadeem Hasnain||Buy Here|
|The Tribal Culture of India||Buy Here|
Anthropology Syllabus UPSC
Anthropology is one of the important topics of UPSC and it’s important to know the syllabus for better preparation and building exam strategy. Here are some of the topics covered in Anthropoplgy syllabus for UPSC:
- Meaning, scope, and development of Anthropology.
- Relationship with other disciplines: History, Economics, Sociology, Psychology, Political Science, Life Science, Medical Science.
- Main branches of Anthropology, their scope, and relevance
- Human Evolution and the Emergence of Man
- Phylogenetic status, characteristics
- Principles of Prehistoric Archaeology. Chronology: Relative and Absolute Dating methods
- Characteristics of Primates
- The Nature of Society & Culture
- The biological basis of life
- Marriage, Family & Kinship
- Political organization and Social Contro
Also Read: What is Golden Revolution?
Hope this blog helped you explore the themes and important points to do well in Anthropology for UPSC. Keep visiting Leverage Edu to know more about the syllabus, exam pattern, important dates and preparation tips for competitive exams.