Akumjung Pongen became Nagaland’s first Rhodes Scholar for the year 2022. An undergraduate Philosophy student with the prestigious Stephen College, University of Delhi is one of the one 5 Indians who won the Rhodes Scholarship. This award is highly competitive and offered by the University of Oxford. The acceptance rate for the Rhodes scholarship is as low as 1% making it extremely selective and rigorous in nature. Akumjung Pongen defied all odds by winning the award and is all set to pursue his postgraduate studies in Philosophy from one of the oldest universities in the UK.
This Blog Includes:
Indians Selected for Rhodes Scholarship 2022
Here is a full list of all the 5 students who have made India proud by winning the world’s most renowned scholarships to study at Oxford for the upcoming academic intake in autumn:
- Ritika Mukherjee, a final year undergraduate student of Zoology at Miranda House, University of Delhi.
- Adrija Ghosh, BA, LLB (Hons) student from the West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences.
- Dr Varad Puntambekar, a MBBS student from the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, and is currently a Public Health Fellow at the Society for Education Action and Research in Community Health (SEARCH)
- Dr Aishwarya Vedula, holds a MBBS degree from Osmania Medical College
The selection process for 2022 was entirely virtual and exceedingly exhaustive. The application process consists of a competitive application round and two rounds of Preliminary interviews headed by panelists who are subject experts and ex-Rhodes scholars. The shortlisted finalists were interviewed and only a select few are chosen to receive a fully-funded scholarship to Oxford university in different fields.
About the Rhodes Scholarship
The Rhodes scholarship is a prestigious fully-funded scheme for graduate students planning to study at the globally esteemed University of Oxford. Established in 1903, it is the oldest scholarship in the world and still continues to benefit many students across the world. The scholarship is provided to young leaders who dynamically use their abilities for the betterment of the world.
It is one of the oldest scholarships dating back to 1947 and selects 5 Indian students every year who wish to study at Oxford and excel in their field of study.
What Does the Scholarship Cover?
In the first instance, the Rhodes Scholarship is offered for two years. The scholarship covers University fees and provides an annual stipend. This stipend is given for students to manage their accommodation. The scholarship duration is extended as per the course duration.
Rhodes Trust also covers your application fees to study at the University of Oxford, the cost of Tier 4 Study Visa and the associated International Health Surcharge (IHS). It also covers two economy-class flights from and to the UK.
On arrival, students receive a settling-in allowance. For scholars who transition to another course at the University, the Trust takes care of the visa renewal and further application for IHS.
|Opening Dates||1st June 2021|
|Closing Dates||2nd August 2021|
- Nationality/citizenship: You must be a citizen of India, holding an Indian passport, or equivalent proof of citizenship; PIO or OCI card holders do not satisfy the Indian citizenship criteria for this purpose.
- Education/residency: You must have undertaken formal study at an educational institution in India for a minimum of 4 of the last 10 years, and have either (i) completed a school leaving exam (10th or 12th standard or equivalent) at a school in India, or (ii) have received, or be in the final year of, an undergraduate degree at a university in India.
- Age: You must meet either of the below criteria:
- Upon 1 October 2021, you must be at least 18 and have not reached your 24th birthday (i.e. you must have been born after 1 October 1997 and on or before 1 October 2003). (for older candidates who completed their first undergraduate degree later than usual)
- Upon 1 October 2021, you must have not reached your 27th birthday (i.e. have been born after 1 October 1994) you have met or will meet the academic requirements for completing your first undergraduate degree on or after 1 October 2020*
Courses and Degrees Covered by the Rhodes Scholarship
- A BA with Senior Status (ie done over two years, rather than the normal three)
- A one-year taught Master’s course (MSc, MSt, BCL), followed in the second year by another one-year taught Master’s course (subject to successful completion of the first course)
- A one-year taught Master’s course (MSc, MSt, BCL)
- A two-year MPhil or BPhil (or BCL/MPhil)
- A two-year MSc by research (or MLitt)
- A three-year DPhil
Want to defy all odds like Akumjung Pongen, the first Rhodes Scholar from Nagaland, and study in the UK in 2022? Then call our Leverage Edu experts at 1800 572 000 and get started on your application process!