Interior designing is an art that holds great significance in our day-to-day lives. More and more people are interested in hiring interior designers to turn their house into a home. The field is growing steadily today. If you have dreamt of building a career in Interior designing, Singapore is a great place to be. The country has some of the best institutes and colleges that offer Interior Designing courses for affordable fees. In this blog, we will be going through Interior Designing in Singapore and how you can do it:
This Blog Includes:
- Interior Designing as a Career Choice
- Top Universities in Singapore for Interior Designing
- Skills for Interior Designing in Singapore
- Job Role of an Interior Designer
- Why study Interior Designing in Singapore?
Interior Designing as a Career Choice
With the evolution of our lifestyles, interior designing has gained all the more relevance. The effective use of space, user well-being, and functional design are the key factors that have contributed to the development of modern interior design as a profession. All over the world, the size of houses and office spaces is decreasing and the need for them is constantly on the rise. Therefore, making the smart and efficient use of land even more important. As a result, the expertise of well-trained interior designers is cherished more than ever.
Top Universities in Singapore for Interior Designing
Here are the top universities in Singapore for Interior Designing:
LASALLE College of Arts
Founded in 1984 by De La Salle Brother Joseph McNally who understood the relevance of imparting education about arts. It is a private, not-for-profit college, which receives tuition grant from the Ministry of Education, Singapore.
One of the best colleges for interior design in Singapore, LASALLE College of Arts is the first local institute to be awarded the EduTrust Star which is the highest honour of quality for a private education institute in Singapore. The College provides a healthy and growth-friendly environment for its students. Currently, 2500 students, including 40 percent foreign students, from countries like India, China, Australia, and Japan are studying at LASALLE.
Interior design at LASALLE is an act of creating environments within and around existing spaces. As a profession, it covers the design and planning of a wide range of places. This college offers a diploma course in interior design and an undergraduate degree. The duration of both courses is 3 years.
LASALLE College of Arts offered an integrated learning opportunity to its students in the form of lectures, seminars, critiques, workshops, tutorials, field trips, studio work, and group and solo projects. As part of industry-based learning, students at LASALLE College of Arts also participate in a live industry-related project or an industry placement.
Singapore Institute of Technology
Founded in 2009, SIT is Singapore’s first university of applied learning. Recently, a bill was passed in the Singaporean Parliament making it an autonomous university, thus allowing it to confer its own degrees to students. The college is validated by the University of Glasgow.
The university will be integrated with a creative industry cluster built by JTC Corporation in Punggol Downtown and Northshore district. Singapore Institute of Technology also launched Enterprise & Innovation Hub (E&I Hub) to help industries to work with SIT students, professional officers and faculty to manage industry projects and projects developed through the Integrated Work Study Programme. The applied learning curriculum at the Singapore Institute of Technology provides the ideal platform for scholars to thrive in their respective industries.
One of the best colleges for interior design in Singapore, SIT offers Bachelor of Arts with Honours in Interior Design. The duration of the program is 2 years. Also, the program has 3 intakes in September, January and May.
Raffles Education Network
Raffles Design Institute is a for-profit design-centric educational institution headquartered in Singapore. Raffles Design Institute Singapore, the flagship campus of Raffles Design Institute was established in 1990 by the company Raffles Education Corporation Limited.
After establishing its first college in 1990, Raffles network has grown to operate 24 universities in 22 cities across 13 countries throughout the world. Their inter-school transfer scheme allows students to study at any of Raffles’ network of colleges. Raffles is also accredited by Edutrust.
The curriculum and pedagogy at Raffles, one of the best best colleges for interior design, are industry-focused, allowing students to get empowered with practical exposure and opportunities to innovate. The skills that Raffles students acquire far exceed the knowledge and expertise of the profession, setting them on the road to success.
Raffles offers many courses for interior designing like Diploma, Advanced Diploma, BA Honours in Interior Design among others. The duration of these programs ranges from 3 months to a year.
Located in Tampines, Temasek is one of the best colleges for interior design in Singapore. It is the third polytechnic school established in the country. Founded on April 6, 1990, the campus of the institute sits on a 30-hectare land area. Temasek Polytechnic has an estimated 15000 full-time students and more than 1200 employees as staff.
In today’s highly globalized economy, Temasek focus on inculcating its graduates with the pertinent skills to help them turn into world-savvy individuals. Temasek is the only polytechnic in Singapore to have a Centre for TransCultural Studies, which works to create opportunities for our students to have cross-cultural experiences, both locally and overseas.
This college offers a diploma in interior architecture and design. The duration of this course is 3 years. The alumni from Temasek include some of Singapore’s award-winning designers. You can also apply for scholarships and bursaries from the industry’s biggest names like Shaw Industries Asia, Space Matrix Design Consultants, Vanguard Interiors among others. This involves the BCA industry scholarships and sponsorships worth $15,000 and $7,000 per year respectively.
National University of Singapore
The National University of Singapore is an autonomous university, known to be one of the best colleges for interior design in Singapore and around the globe. Founded in 1905 as a medical college, it is the oldest institute of higher learning in Singapore. Furthermore, it is the largest university in the country in terms of student enrolment and courses offered. Also, NUS ranks number 1 in Singapore and the whole of Asia (Times Higher Education Rankings 2018)
NUS has a semester-based modular system for conducting its various courses. It has adopted both features of the British teaching system, such as small group teaching (tutorials) and those of the American education system such as course credits. Students may transfer between courses within their first two semesters, enrol in cross-faculty modules or take up electives from different faculties (which is compulsory for most degrees). Other cross-disciplinary initiatives study programmes at NUS include double-degree undergraduate degrees in Arts & Social Sciences and Engineering; Arts & Social Sciences and Law; Business and Engineering; and Business and Law.
It does not offer a complete degree or diploma on interior design, but the university’s Architecture Degree will give you the option to explore other fields closely related to interior design such as urban and industrial design. The duration of their program is 4 years.
Skills for Interior Designing in Singapore
Desirable skills for becoming a good interior designer:
- Good sense of colour
- Scientific Aptitude
- Flair for drawing
- Ability to deal with technical details
- Visual sensitivity
- Sense of style
- Excellent visualisation skills
- Analytical skills
Job Role of an Interior Designer
Interior designers work closely with architects, mechanical engineers, civil engineers, and construction labourers to determine how interior spaces will look, function and are embellished. Typical tasks interior designers gets involved with are:
- Searching for and bidding on new projects
- Determining the client’s goals and requirements for the project
- Considering how space will be used and how people will move through space
- Sketching preliminary design plans, including electrical and partition layouts
- Specifying materials and furnishings
- Creating a timeline for the interior design project and estimating project costs
- Placing orders for materials and overseeing the installation of the design elements
- Overseeing construction and coordinating with general building contractors to implement the plans and specifications for the project
- Visiting the site after the project is complete, to ensure that the client is satisfied
Interior designers can choose their field of specialisation and become one of the following:
- Corporate designers
- Healthcare designers
- Kitchen and bath designers
- Sustainable designers
- Universal designers
Why study Interior Designing in Singapore?
- No language barrier: Even though Malay is the national language of Singapore, English is one of the four official languages of Singapore and is widely spoken across the country. Thus, any students with proficiency in English can conveniently study in Singapore.
- High Standard of Education: Singapore is known for its high-quality education especially in Asia. Any degree from a Singaporean University carries a significant value all across the globe.
- Reasonable Affordability: Even though Singapore comes across as an expensive destination for students, with various scholarship options and tuition grants available, it is reasonably affordable. Moreover, the normal cost of living in Singapore is lower than that in countries like Australia, Canada, the United States, and the United Kingdom.
- Multicultural Society: As home to some of the top universities and hub of booming businesses, it attracts people of various educational and cultural backgrounds. This makes Singapore a safe and conducive environment for international students to shape their careers.
- An inspirational setup for design students: From enormous towers to marvelous monuments, the city’s full of architectural wonders that can serve as a source of inspiration for interior designing students and provide them with the favourable environment to help them learn and grow.
Contact Leverage Edu now and take the first step towards styling your career in interior designing. To know more about the admission process of applying at universities in Singapore, call a Leverage Edu expert today (+91-8826200293) and get all your questions answered.