According to the Australian Home Affair Government, more than 660,350 Indians are presently living in Australia making Indians the third largest migrant community in the country. Low pollution levels, economic growth, breathtaking scenery are among the many reasons which make Australia a great place to live, study and work. In order to study or work in Australia, students have to meet all entry requirements, among which is a Visa. Skilled Regional Visa popularly known as 491 Visa Australia allows you and your family to stay in Australia for up to 5 years. Let’s explore everything you need to know about 491 Visa Australia.
This Blog Includes:
- What is the 491 Visa in Australia or Subclass 491?
- 491 Visa Eligibility Requirement
- 491 Visa Application Process
- Document Checklist
- 491 Visa Fee
- What is the Score I Need to Pass the Points Test?
- What is the 489 Visa Australia?
- 489 & 491 Visa Australia Eligibility
- 491 & 489 Visa Processing Time
- 489 Visa Australia Points
- May I Remain in Australia for a Longer Period of Time?
What is the 491 Visa in Australia or Subclass 491?
There are different types of Australian Visa available. People choose the Visa type based on their requirements. The Skilled Work Regional Visa or Subclass 491 Visa allows skilled migrants to live, study and work in designated regional areas of Australia. For the purposes of skilled immigration, a broad definition of regional Australia would cover all of Australia with the exception of the major cities of Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane. The NSW Central Coast, Gold Coast, Perth, Newcastle, and Wollongong will now be included. You will be allowed to work, study and live in Australia for a period of 5 years with your family. You can travel to and from Australia uncountable times till your Australia 491 Visa is valid. You can also apply for Permanent Residency with Subclass 491 Visa.
491 Visa Eligibility Requirement
It is important to check the terms and conditions before starting the visa application process. Here are some of the crucial 491 Visa Conditions:
- Be invited to apply, nominated by a state or territory government agency or sponsored by an eligible relative
- Have an occupation on a relevant skilled occupation list
- Have a successful skills assessment for the occupation
- Score 65 points or more
- Be aged under 45 years before you’re invited to apply
- Have a competent level of English
- Satisfy the health and character requirements
- Don’t owe the Australian government any money
- No history of visa cancellation or a previous application refused
491 Visa Application Process
After being invited for 491 Visa Australia you will have to apply within 60 days. Here are the steps to apply for the visa:
- Visit the official website and log on to your skill select account.
- Select the ‘Apply for Visa’ tab and create your Immi Account
- Fill in all the required personal, academic and other details
- Upload the scan copy of all the mandatory documents
- Submit the application fee and finish the application process
- Documents for relationship status, marriage etc.
- Character Certificate
- Skill assessment and English proficiency documents
- Need to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI)
- Sponsorship Documents include the proof of citizenship, residential proof and certificate of relationship
- Government ID proofs
491 Visa Fee
With SkillSelect, there is no fee for submitting an expression of interest. A profile may be created and updated as often as desired without incurring any fees.
However, the application for the primary applicant costs AUD $4,240 (INR 2.25 L) once you’ve been nominated and decide to apply (check the updated cost here). Additionally, there is a fee of AUD $4,240 (INR 2.25 L) for each adult family member who applies for the visa alongside you. Use the Visa Pricing Estimator to receive a ballpark figure for the price of your visa. Please be aware that the estimate ignores the second instalment and additional expenses.
Tests of English proficiency, health examinations, police certifications, and biometrics are among the additional fees.
What is the Score I Need to Pass the Points Test?
On the points test, you must receive at least 65 points. Your appropriateness is determined by this exam using details like your age, English proficiency, degree of employment in your industry, and educational background. Extra points are awarded for things like:
- An extra 10 points for a skilled partner or single applicant
- 5 points for a spouse that’s competent in English
- 15 points for State or Territory government nomination
- 15 points for family member sponsorship if they reside in a regional area
- STEM occupations get an extra 10 points (Masters by Research or PhD required)
- 10 points for a partner who is an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- You must be nominated by a state/territory government agency or sponsored by an eligible relative (an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible NZ citizen).
What is the 489 Visa Australia?
The other popular type of Australian visa is 489 Visa Australia. It helps skilled migrants settle down in Australia with their spouses and family for study and work purposes. It is valid for 4 years and allows you to travel to and from Australia as many times as you want during this period. If granted, you might be able to apply for the Skilled Regional (Permanent) Visa (subclass 887).
Click Here for More Details on 489 Visa Australia Points
489 & 491 Visa Australia Eligibility
Every skilled worker planning to apply for 489 and 491 Visa for Australia has to meet the entry requirements. The requirements are different for the main applicant and subsequent applicants:
Main Applicant Requirements
- Nominated to apply by a state or territory government agency, or should be sponsored by a relative
- An occupation on a relevant skilled occupation list
- Suitable skills assessment for the occupation
- Applicant must be invited to apply
- Fulfil the point test
Subsequent Applicant Requirements
- Among the members of the family unit of a subclass 491 visa holder
491 & 489 Visa Processing Time
The processing time of 491& 489 Visa differs based on pathways. Generally, it takes 24-34 months for the invited 489 Pathways Visa while there is no such time extended stay or subsequent entry pathways. According to the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs, 75% of applications are processed in 28 months while 90% of applications in 34 months which includes processing time for State/Territory nominated and family-sponsored streams.
Also Read: Why Study in Australia?
489 Visa Australia Points
In order to apply for the 489 & 491 Visa Australia, the applicant must have a valid score or points. The points are evaluated based on different criteria:
- English Language Skills
- Skilled Employment Experience
- Educational Qualifications
- Specialist Educational Qualifications
- Australian Study Requirements
- Professional Year in Australia
- Credentialled Community Language
- Study in Regional Australia
- Partner Skills
- Nomination or Sponsorship
Also Read: Best Student Cities in Australia
Also Read: Canada vs Australia: Where Should You Study in 2022?
May I Remain in Australia for a Longer Period of Time?
If you want to stay longer than five years from the date the visa is granted, you must apply for a new visa because this one cannot be extended. You and your family members who are in possession of this visa are required to work and attend school in specific Australian regional areas. Your visa will not be issued if your nomination is withdrawn.
Also Read: How to Study MBBS in Australia?
The Skilled Regional (Provisional) Subclass 489 visa is a 4-year provisional visa which requires holders to live and work in a regional area to obtain permanent residence. To qualify, you would need be sponsored by either a relative living in a designated area or a State or Territory Government.
The visa allows you to stay for four years before you become eligible for permanent residency.
The processing time for this visa approx 3-4 weeks, no fast-tracked or priority processing will be available.
The 494 visa is a provisional visa which means it does not grant immediate permanent residency.
This is your go-to guide for Skilled Regional Visa-Australia. Are you planning to apply for this visa but not sure where to start from? Contact our experts and counsellors at Leverage Edu and start your dream of studying abroad today!