The 482 Visas in Australia were established in 2019 replacing the 457 Subclass Visa that allowed applicants to renew their work visa for 4 years. Temporary Skill Shortage Visa or the 482 Subclass Visa allows employers from Australia to hire Indian skilled labour on a temporary basis. This visa is only valid for Australian employers who are facing a labour shortage and are unable to hire fitting Australian labour. Let’s explore in-depth about the Temporary Skill Shortage Visa for Australia.
This Blog Includes:
Also Read: Australia Work Visa
Streams of 482 Visa
Streams of 482 subclass Visas are classified on the basis of their validity, cost and nature of labour to be sponsored by the Australian employer.
- Short-Term Stream
- Medium-Term Stream
- Labour Agreement Stream
Also Read: Read about MBA in Australia
Short Term Stream
It allows the Indian labour to stay and work in Australia for 2 years to 4 years. The occupation must be listed on the short-term skilled occupation list and labour should have 2 years of relevant work experience. You can also travel to and from Australia within the validity of your Visa. The application cost is AUD1290 / ₹72,209
Also Read: Temporary Graduate Visa 485 for Australia
Medium Term Stream
It allows the Indian Labour to stay and work in Australia for 4 years. They can study alongside being employed by the Australian employer and also apply for permanent residency if eligible. The application cost is AUD2690/₹1,50,576. The desired occupation should be listed on the medium and short-term strategic skills list or regional occupation list.
Labour Agreement Stream
Australian employers who have a labour agreement with the Australian government can sponsor Indian labour for a temporary time period and allow them to work and live in Australia. The Visa application cost is the same as it is for medium-term streams.
Also Read: Skilled Independent Visa Australia
Eligibility for 482 Visa
There is a set of eligibility requirements that Indian labour and Australian employers must have to qualify for the temporary skill shortage Visa.
- Occupation should be listed on the Consolidated Occupation List
- 2 years of work experience in the relevant field
- Skills and educational qualifications for the job that you are employed in Australia
- Proof of English Proficiency
- Satisfied DHA (Department of Home Affairs in Australia) tests for good character and health
If you are an Australian employer planning to sponsor skilled labour from India, you have to fulfil the following conditions:
- Must have a lawfully operating business
- No adverse information against the business
- Employ an Indian worker for a genuine and full-time job
- Qualify salary and employment-related condition requirements
- Evidence of Labour Market Testing if required
Getting the 482 subclass Visa is a process initiated by the Australian sponsor only after you meet the eligibility requirements. Applying for a temporary skill shortage Visa can be a lengthy process.
- Find whether you are eligible for the 482 subclass Visa or not
- If eligible, start looking for work opportunities in Australia that are ready to employ Indian immigrants.
- Once you get the job, your Australian employer will nominate you for the Temporary Skill Shortage Visa.
- After you receive the nomination, you can apply for the 482 Visas online from the DHA portal.
- It can take anywhere between 6-12 months for your Visa to be processed.
- Once you receive the Visa, you can fly to Australia for your work
Note: Australian Immigration is very rigid and thorough with its screening process to avoid any kind of unwanted immigrant entering the country. Hence, the processing time takes a few months. Applicants have to appear for the interview as well.
Reasons for Rejection
- Disapproval from the DHA on medical grounds
- Invalid or damaged passport
- Incomplete application form
- Inadequate information may be insufficient for Immigration to issue a Visa
- Past criminal records, however negligible
- A combination of both- clean Australian employer record and Indian immigrant eligibility are major deciders whether the 482 Visas will be issued to you or not.
Yes, in the case of medium-term stream, you can apply for permanent residency in Australia if you are eligible.
482 Visa is valid for either 2 years, 4 years or 5 years.
No, there is no age limit as such.
You can renew the short stream Visa once onshore and the medium stream Visa twice onshore.
Yes, your family members will have to apply for the Subsequent Entrant Visa if you are on a 482 Visa in Australia.
Are you planning to study in Australia but not sure where to start? Get in touch with our Leverage Edu experts and kickstart your study abroad journey. Call us at 1800 57 2000 to book your FREE 30-minute counselling session today!